English as a Second Language- Intensive English Program
Mission Statement: The ESL course offerings at Morehead State University are designed to provide the highest quality of instruction and support to international students in their preparation for the pursuit of academic degrees in the United States and other English-speaking countries.
International students can choose to enroll in the Intensive English Program (IEP) to focus entirely on developing English language proficiency as full-time Intensive English Program students at Morehead State University.
Visiting international students, (J visa holders), have a selection of six (6) undergraduate ESL elective courses available to them, designed to provide language support to visiting students while taking courses in their majors. The undergraduate ESL elective courses count towards the mandatory 12 credit hour course load per semester as part of the immigration requirement for international students, but not towards a degree.
Intensive English Program (IEP)
The Intensive English Program is an option available to both undergraduate and graduate students and offers up to 24 hours of face-to-face English language instruction per week.
- Undergraduate students are required to submit a minimum score of 45 or 450 on the TOEFL or a 4.0 on the IELTS
- Graduate students are required to submit a minimum score of 45 or 450 on the TOEFL or a 4.5 on the IELTS
At MSU you will have the chance to experience authentic American culture. Take an inside look at how our students are staying involved by viewing the Intensive English Program slideshow.
Taking Your Next Steps
- Complete the Morehead State Application (Fill in "Intensive English Program" under Major (Program Area of Interest).
- Learn more about the MSU admissions process for international students and view the conditional admission policy for international students
- Once accepted into the IEP program, begin considering your housing options. Visit Morehead State's housing site to learn more.